Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sunday Musing

We went to church today. A breakfast was offered after the service, and we decided to stay a bit. The breakfast was composed of biscuits and gravy, breakfast casserole, plus various sweets and breads. The fellowship hall was quite full.

This afternoon, Jadyn and Chelsea came over as they had been wanting to use the internet. Their computer is presently not working. In fact, the CPU remains in our entryway, waiting for Tara to order the new part. Anyway, I recently connected an older Hewlett Packard CPU that my parents had given me after they purchased a new one. Apparently, they were having trouble connecting to Verizon DSL and as such, bought a newer computer anyway. I knew it was a bit older, having Windows ME on it rather than XP. I have been reading alot about Linux lately, so I decided to load Puppy Linux on it. Linux is essentially an alternate operating system to Windows with a greater emphasis on allowing the end user to modify the system to suit their needs. Anyway, much of its usefulness is beyond my abilities, but I did discover a neat little utility that discovered the drivers necessary to operate via the ethernet card. In other words, we now have a third computer that has the potential to be connected to the network.

Around 3:30pm, Terry Komnick tilled our garden. We didn't take pictures, but we are so happy that the garden is finally near planting time. In fact, we are apparently a little behind schedule for potatoes. I need to be on the road for a couple days, but my father may come over and help plan some potatoes Tuesday.

My brother is gone on a fishing trip, so we decided to cook out on the bbq grill for supper, inviting his wife Melissa and our niece Colby over. My parents also came over. Typically, whenever we cook out, we go to my parents house for supper. But I was intent on staying around the house today, so I insisted that everyone come to our house for supper. Mom cooked some baked potatoes. We grilled butterflied pork chops plus some tenderized pork chops. This was our first use of the bbq grill this year and I bought a single use charcoal bag for cooking.
The meat actually turned out really well. The secret to pork is avoid cooking it too long. Otherwise, it will dry out. Unfortunately, in an effort to promote the health advantages of this meat, pork producers generate a really lean piece of meat that dries out easily. So its essential to not allow the pork to overcook. In some cases, marinading the pork also aids in ensuring it stays moist.

No comments: